We can enjoy a terrific interview with Chris Voss published by Talks at Google. Chris is the reigning educator on negotiating skills, and his book is Never Split the Difference.
- Yes is a commitment, no is protection (not a problem, just a good beginning)
- Make your counterpart (not adversary!) feel safe, and they grow more creative
- Hesitate and let your counterpart think
- Don't ask for a 'few minutes to talk,' instead say... 'is now a bad time to talk'?
- Summarize the other person's point of view, even if it's not in your favor. Get them to say 'That's right' because that means they know you've recognized their interests. Now you have a shared truth.
And so much more, and it's fun as well as informative.